Saturday, July 3, 2010

4th of July Pie

Happy Birthday to my recipe blog!! One year ago today I started out on my venture to collect a vast and varried collection of recipes. I wanted to become more comfortable in the kitchen. Since last July 3rd we have eaten speghetti once! It was delicious, too. In fact I would dare say we have eaten something new every week. This is also my 130th post! Over 130 yummy recipes!

I can't claim this idea as my own. I found this idea on ourbestbites.blogspot.com -one of my favorite cooking spots! I did add my own flare and I used my mom's pie crust recipe for this yummy treat.

Pie Crust

Mix in large bowl:

4 cups flour (I used 3 T wheat flour in the 4 cups)
pinch of salt

Using a pastry cutter mix into flour:

2 cups shortening

Using a fork fluff slowly into mixture:

1 cup ice cold water

Roll dough out and cut out circles 2 inches larger than your muffin tin circles. I used a cereal bowl to mark my circle. Then I used a butter knife to cut out circles. Shape the rims how your mama taught...or just do the best you can ;)

Fill your tins with blueberry and cherry pie filling.

Using a cookie cutter cut out stars to place on top of filling.

Using your finger dab the dough with milk.

Then sprinkle with sugar.

Bake at 375 for about 30-35 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes. I lifted out the pies using two butter knives resting under each individual pie rim.

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday goodlookinhomecookin! I've adopted many of your recipe's and I will be making this one together. I got a bag of green apples from the co-op and thought this time of year was appropriate for apple pie and mini's will be so fun.

    ReplyDelete