Friday, August 31, 2012

Salsa

This is an easy recipe to make and bottle. I got the recipe from my sister, Bonnie and she got it from Mom, who got it from our neighbor Phylis Skidmore. I altered the recipe quite a bit, though. I tried it with the 1/2 cup salt and thought it was a bit too salty. I added garlic, cilantro and lime. Here is what I did.

Blanch and peel 20 tomatoes.
I put them in a pot and cut them roughly with a knife.

Add:

5 jalapenios
5-8 cloves garlic
5 green peppers
3 large onions, chopped

Bring to a boil. Lower heat to keep a steady simmer.

After simmering add:

1 cup sugar
3 T salt

Simmer for 4 hours.  During the last hour add:

juice of 5 fresh limes
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped

Process for 35 minutes in a water bath. I like to set up the camp chef in the garage to do this.  Makes about 18 half pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment