Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Gallo Pinto

This is a Costa Rican dish. Super easy and versatile. There are hundreds of ways to cook this. I found this one was very easy. I start the rice first so that it is ready to go. For 3 cups of rice you will use 3 cups of water and 1, 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice. If I had celery on hand I probably would have thrown that in, too.

*What to do with the left overs? I added a large dollop of sour cream and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. This filling makes great toquitos!! Place a couple tablespoons of filling on a flour tortilla and roll up tight. Place the rolled tortilla seem side down on a foil lined cookie sheet. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Dip in sour cream. My kids loved these!

Heat:

3 T oil

Add to hot oil and saute for 7 minutes:

1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

After 7 minutes add and mix well:

1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ginger
2 T worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups cooked rice

Now add and mix well:

2 cans black beans, drained
hand full of cilantro, chopped fine

No comments:

Post a Comment