Monday, January 30, 2012

Orange Rolls


I have been craving orange rolls for a long time and finally tried them out. I've made orange rolls in the past and they have turned out very dry. These turned out very moist! I used an orange butter on the top, but next time I'm going to try an orange glaze - Just orange juice and powdered sugar! I think I would like the glaze better than the butter. It would be just a bit more sweet.

I used the recipe from my German pastry.

In stainless steel bowl or in your mixer mix:

2 cups white flour
1 T yeast


In a glass pyrex or liquid measure cup dump in this order and then microwave for about a minute. You want the butter to be almost melted, but not scorching hot:


1 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt

Now add this to the flour and mix until incorporated. Now add and mix until incorporated:


2 eggs

Now add and mix for 2 minutes:


2 cups white flour

Allow the dough to rise for an hour. Punch down. Let rise 10 more minutes. Then roll out in a rectange about 1/8 inch thick. Butter and zest an orange over top.
Now roll up the length wise and cut out your "cinnamon rolls." Place in a 13x9 greased baking dish. Allow to rise about an hour.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. When the rolls come out of the oven drizzle butter on top.

For the orange butter I mixed:


3 T butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3 T fresh orange juice
zest of 1 orange

Enjoy!!

1 comment: