Monday, August 24, 2009

Red Beans and Rice


Red Beans and Rice

I love this pantry staple! It is super cheap and healthy and delicious! You can make it two different ways - with a pressure cooker or on the stove top. I will include both!

Stove top Red Beans and Rice
step one- dump 1 cup of red beans in 8 cups of cold in a large pot before you go to bed.

step two- drain the water (I do this at about 3 in the afternoon) and fill with 7 cups chicken broth. Bring to a simmer for one and a half hours (90 minutes). Check every now and then to be sure there is enough water. You don't want to burn the beans on the bottom of a dry pan.

step three- Add:

1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1, 1/2 cups celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
step four- simmer another 30 minutes.

step five- serve over hot rice. Top with grated cheddar cheese.


Electric Pressure Cooker Red Beans and Rice
step one- dump:

1 cup red beans, (no need to soak the beans overnight)

4 cups chicken broth,

2 garlic cloves chopped,

1 onion chopped into the pressure cooker.

step two- Set pressure cooker to high pressure for 35 minutes.

step three- when pressure cooker is done, take lid off and add:
1 green pepper chopped
1, 1/2 cups celery chopped

step four- Put lid back onto pressure cooker. Set pressure to low for 5 minutes

step five- serve over hot rice. Top with cheddar cheese!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the link to this recipe! It looks great! And I love yous site! I am excited to tru some of your lovely recipes!! PS My beloved Nana was named Ruby too--I love your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for the perfect side dish to compliment my new found "fried" chicken recipe. Then, I remembered that you had this recipe, so I tried it. It was fabulous!! We had our own healthy version of good ol' southern cooking tonight. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete