Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Scones


These scones marry the best of chocolate chip cookies and hot biscuits. These are really yummy! I found the recipe at thepioneerwoman. I used my mixer for this recipe. My mixer has a lid. I wouldn't recommend it if yours doesn't have a lid. You could also use your hands and a pastry cutter.

In mixer dump:

1, 3/4 cup flour
1, 3/4 cut wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 TBL flax seed, milled
4 T oats

Add and using cookie paddles mix on high for one minute:

6 TBL cold butter, cut into 6 pieces


Now add to the mixer and mix on high for only 5 to 10 seconds:

1 egg
*1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips


Now dump the dough onto floured counter and mix a couple times by hand until all incorporated. Make a ball and cut in half like so



Now make a circle out of each half. Cut each circle into 6 pie shapes. Like so

Place pieces onto greased cookie sheat. Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes. Next time I make these I think 1 tsp cinnamon would be a nice touch!

*I didn't have buttermilk. I poured 1 TBL lemon juice in my cup and then filled it to the 1 cup line with milk from the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. sorry Ruby, I have not commented on your blog for awhile. I have been busy moving in. These scones look really good. I am going to make it as soon as I grind my wheat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review of my recipe over on Tasty Kitchen. I am so glad you liked the scones. I use powdered buttermilk. I love it as it is nice to have on hand and I never seem to go through a whole carton of buttermilk before it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete