Saturday, August 29, 2009

Hungry Man Chili

Here is another Ruby original! I made this and didn't tell hubby I tried a different recipe than the usual chili recipe I use. I wanted to see if he would notice. Boy did he! He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but this is his new favorite chili. My children don't seem to think it's too spicy. If you want more spice then add more red pepper flakes or chili powder. The corn bread recipe is coming soon!

In a large pot cook up the following until beef is brown:

1 lb ground beef (or left over pot roast, cut up)
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped

Drain the grease. Now add:

1 quart bottled tomatoes (or large can)
small can tomato sauce
1 cup pinto beans
1 cup black beans
1 cup frozen corn
3 T chili powder
1 tsp basil
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 T brown sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

simmer on stove top for an hour...or more if you aren't ready for dinner. ;)

1 comment: