Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Marv N Joe



Back in our Utah State University days hubby and I would go to the Tagart center and buy a Marv N Joe with a fudge brownie. I never liked tomato sandwiches until this came along. I love the warm tomato over a cold one. This tasty treat was made up by two engineering professors, Marvin Howling and Joe Calliendo. The sandwich became so popular that the University kept the name and is one of the most popular meals they sell!

In the cafeteria they cook these open-faced sandwiches on a buttery griddle. I didn't want to make these one at a time (I don't own a griddle, but it's on my list) so I buttered the bread and put them under the broiler.

Take a slice of home-made bread and drizzle it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Then top it with a tomato. Then salt and pepper the top. Then add a piece of Provolone cheese. Broil (about 45 seconds) or griddle until the cheese is all melty. I loved the tast that the pesto added. Here is the pesto recipe!

This is a great vegetarian meal!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try the marvin jo. I got it once or twice while at USU, the only thing that I did not love was that it was so greesy, so now that I have the recipe, I can make it greesy to what I want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just found this recipe somewhere else, but they didn't have pesto... which I remembered it having! :) Thanks for sharing! :) These definitely are my favorite sandwich!

    ReplyDelete