Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pioneer Butter




Homemade butter is YUMMY! Creamy, whipped, easy, perfect.

Buy heavy whipping cream and put in a small jam jar. Fill it almost to the top. I just left about 1 cm of space. Shake for 20 minutes. Yes, this in one job that children have fun with. No mess for mom, either. It is easier if you use room temperature cream. If it is cold it may take longer.
The large quart jars take hours to form butter. I cheated a bit and poured the cream into my Bosch mixer on low for 20 minutes. Then spooned the butter into the jar.

You know it is done when there is a ball of butter surrounded by milk. This is buttermilk and would be great to make pancakes with. I'll post my buttermilk pancake recipe after I use my yummy buttermilk! Pour the buttermilk into a jar to save. Add salt or honey to the butter. Serve on bread. You can put this in the fridge. It will become hard just like the butter at the store.




No comments:

Post a Comment